Dairy-Free Condensed Milk
A super simple and easy way to make dairy-free condensed milk with only TWO ingredients! The perfect addition to those dessert recipes that require condensed milk.
I've been attempting to find a way to make dairy-free condensed milk for quite some time now. I have some staple dessert recipes that require condensed milk, but I could never find dairy-free condensed milk in stores.
Finally, I decided to research how to make regular sweetened condensed milk. It is simply a reduction of milk and sugar. So if you can take regular milk and sugar into a reduction, then why can't you do the same with dairy-free milk?! Well, now you can! Of course, the final product will not be as thick as a can of regular sweetened condensed milk, but it still works for any recipe.
You can use this recipe with any dairy-free milk. So far, I've made it will oat milk and almond milk. But will continue to attempt more varieties.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CONDENSED MILK
You only need two ingredients for this recipe on dairy-free condensed milk. You more than likely already have them in your kitchen.
- Granulated Sugar
- Dairy-Free Milk
HOW TO MAKE CONDENSED MILK
The process of making dairy-free condensed milk is quite simple but time-consuming.
- Add 2 cups of dairy-free milk and 1 cup sugar to a saucepan.
- Heat the ingredients on medium heat, occasionally stirring, until it reaches a low boil. This point will dissolve your sugar.
- Lower the temperature to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 60 to 70 minutes. Make sure to stir every 5 minutes.
- Once your reduction is complete, the color will have deepened and the texture slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add to an air-tight jar and keep refrigerated.
HOW TO STORE
Dairy-free condensed milk should be stored in the refrigerator. Keep it stored in a tightly sealed container or jar. It will keep for about two weeks.
WHAT RECIPES USE CONDENSED MILK?
There are lots of recipes that call for condensed milk, such as:
- Banana pudding
- Homemade ice cream
- Old-fashioned key lime pie
- Coconut Macaroons
- Coffee drinks
- Dulce de leche
- Some cake recipes