Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Moist and perfectly spiced gingerbread cake layers paired with a delectable cream cheese frosting make the best and only holiday cake you will need! Top the cake off with some sugared cranberries for extra flavor. The best part, this cake is completely dairy and egg-free.
Nothing says Christmas like a gingerbread cake!
You can turn this recipe into a bundt cake or cupcakes if preferred! Just alter the bake time slightly! Bundt cakes are 40 to 50 minutes, and cupcakes are closer to 20 to 25 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD CAKE LAYERS
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and spray and line three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon, in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, add the dairy-free milk and vinegar. Mix and set aside. This is your dairy-free buttermilk.
- In a stand mixer, beat the room-temperature butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- While the butter and sugars are mixing, in a small bowl, beat the aquafaba liquid until entirely foamy.
- Add the whipped aquafaba, vanilla extract, vegetable oil, applesauce, and molasses to the mixer and mix until combined.
- Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the dairy-free buttermilk. Starting and ending with the flour. Mix just until no flour streaks remain.
- Add the batter to the three cake pans and bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when a toothpick comes out clean, and allow to cool completely.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz dairy-free cream cheese, room temperature (KiteHill)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy-free butter, room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
- Be sure to let your butter and cream cheese come to room temperature. If you don't, you could be left with clumps, which is no good!
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese with a mixer.
- Scrape down the bowl and beat again for an additional minute.
- Scrape down the bowl again and sift in the powdered sugar. Once it starts to come together, add the vanilla extract.
- Mix for about two minutes to ensure it is smooth and creamy.
- Do not add any additional liquids or dairy-free milk!! This will cause the frosting to be too soft.
The perfect addition to any cake around the holidays is sugared cranberries!
Ingredients for Sugared Cranberries
- 2 cups of fresh Cranberries
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup of Water
- 1/2 cup additional sugar for coating
How to Make Sugared Cranberries
- Heat the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Bring to a light simmer and allow sugar to dissolve.
- Let the sugar water cool. Add fresh cranberries to a bowl and pour sugar water over them. Mix to make sure all cranberries are covered. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once ready to use, drain the sugar water, roll the cranberries in 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, and sit out to dry.
HOW TO STACK A CAKE
- Place the first cake layer on the cake board or cake plate. You can add a small dab of cream cheese frosting first to help the cake from moving around.
- Add a layer of cream cheese frosting and spread evenly.
- Repeat the same steps: cake layer and frosting spread evenly.
- Add the last cake layer bottom side up and spread a thin layer of cream cheese frosting on the top and sides. Scrape smooth and freeze the cake for about 10 minutes. This is your crumb coat.
- Remove from the freezer, spread additional frosting on the top and sides, and scrape smooth.
- Add dried sugared cranberries on top for decoration.
This gingerbread cake will surely be a winner at your next holiday gathering! So make it and let me know what you think, and tag me @thethreelittlespoons.
More holiday favorites: