These moist and fluffy strawberry cupcakes are bursting with strawberry flavor and topped with deliciously fruity strawberry buttercream. These cupcakes are sweet and flavorful with every bite and made dairy and egg-free.
To pack these cupcakes with strawberry flavor, I use a combination of strawberry jello mix in the cupcake batter and strawberry extract/emulsion and strawberry preserves in the buttercream. You will have a delicious berry taste with every single bite.
Slice up some fresh strawberries and add them to your cupcakes for a better look and more refreshing taste!
INGREDIENTS FOR STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- Cake Flour
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Strawberry Jello Mix
- Dairy-free Butter
- Almond Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar
HOW TO MAKE AQUAFABA
The key to making strawberry cupcakes egg-free is aquafaba. Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas. It may sound odd to use chickpea liquid, especially if you have never used aquafaba before. But it won't change the taste and aids in the soft texture of the cupcake.
Drain liquid from a can of chickpeas then measure out 1/3 cup and save the remaining aside.
Using a hand mixer, whip the 1/3 cup of aquafaba in a mixing bowl, starting on low and slowly increasing to high.
Whip until stiff peaks form. Then add to batter mixture according to recipe instruction.
Save remaining aquafaba in an airtight container in the fridge for about five days or in the freezer for three months.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line cupcake tin with liners. Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Measure one cup of almond milk and mix in the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. This mixture is your dairy-free buttermilk.
- Using a hand mixer and medium-sized mixing bowl, measure out 1/3 cup of aquafaba and whip until soft light peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy in a stand mixer. Add the strawberry jello mix and beat for another minute.
- Scrape the bowl and add the aquafaba and vanilla extract. Mix on medium for about a minute until combined.
- While the mixer is low, alternate adding in the flour mixture and almond milk mixture, starting and ending with flour. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for approximately 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
INGREDIENTS FOR STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- Dairy-Free Butter (Earth Balance)
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Strawberry Extract/Emulsion
- Strawberry Preserves
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- Beat the butter at medium speed for about three minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for an additional minute. Be sure to use slightly cold butter. You don't want room temperature butter, or it could be too soft.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Do not skip sifting, or you can end up with gritty buttercream.
- Add the vanilla extract, strawberry extract/emulsion, and strawberry preserves and mix on medium-low for 3 to 5 minutes. Mixing the buttercream for a few more minutes helps create a soft and creamy texture.
- Place in a piping bag and add to cupcakes. I used Wilton 1M piping tip for these cupcakes.
Love desserts packed with fruit and fruit flavors?! Then, you should add these recipes to your list to try next.