These sweet and tangy lemon bars are delightfully delectable and perfect for any occasion. With a crunchy shortbread crust and chewy lemon filling, lemon bars are easy to make and the ideal treat for those lemon lovers. This lemon bar recipe is dairy, egg, and gluten-free.
Classic lemon bars require lots of eggs, so this recipe puts up quite the challenge to make egg-free. During my research on vegan lemon bars, most recipes contained coconut cream, and while that is perfectly acceptable. I am not a fan of coconut. This lemon bar recipe has no coconut flavor or ingredients.
Lemon bars may look challenging to make, but they are pretty simple! Not to mention highly addicting.
INGREDIENTS FOR SHORTBREAD CRUST
All-Purpose Flour OR Gluten-Free 1:1 Flour
HOW TO MAKE SHORTBREAD CRUST
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter in a microwaveable dish.
- Add sugar to the bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add sifted flour and salt to the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Press into the bottom of a lined 8x8 baking pan.
- Parbake the crust at 350 degrees F for approximately 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Allow cooling while you make the lemon filling.
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON FILLING
Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
HOW TO MAKE LEMON BARS
- Add all ingredients to a small or medium saucepan.
- Mix the ingredients and heat them on medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a low-rolling boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer for approximately 20 minutes. The mixture will thicken as it simmers. Be sure to stir frequently, so it does not burn.
- Once the mixture is completely thickened, remove from heat and pour into an 8x8 baking pan over parbaked shortbread crust.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Place cooled lemon bars in the refrigerator for several hours before cutting and serving.
Do not forget to dust some powdered sugar on the lemon bars before serving! If you are a lemon lover, you will love these little squares of happiness!
HOW TO STORE LEMON BARS
You will want to keep these lemon bars in the refrigerator. Keep them covered, and they will keep for about a week.
For more lemon recipes, give these a try: