These sweet and tangy lemon cupcakes are moist, flavorful, and topped with incredible lemon buttercream. These cupcakes are every lemon lover's dream.
You cannot resist trying these lemon cupcakes! They are incredibly soft and perfectly balanced between sweet and tart. You won't even have time to notice that they are dairy and egg-free.
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON CUPCAKES
- Cake Flour
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Pudding Mix
- Dairy-free Butter
- Almond Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar
The key ingredient to making lemon cupcakes egg-free is aquafaba. Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas. It may sound odd to use chickpea liquid, especially if you have never used aquafaba before. But it won't change the taste and aids in the soft texture of the cupcake.
HOW TO MAKE AQUAFABA
Drain liquid from a can of chickpeas then measure out 1/3 cup and save the remaining aside.
Using a hand mixer, whip the 1/3 cup of aquafaba in a mixing bowl, starting on low and slowly increasing to high.
Whip until stiff peaks form. Then add to batter mixture according to recipe instruction.
Save remaining aquafaba in an airtight container in the fridge for about five days or in the freezer for three months.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line the cupcake tin with liners. Set aside.
- Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Measure one cup of almond milk and mix in the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. This mixture is your dairy-free buttermilk.
- Using a hand mixer and medium-sized mixing bowl, whip your 1/3 cup of aquafaba until soft light peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy in a stand mixer. Add the lemon pudding mix and beat for another minute.
- Scrape the bowl and add the aquafaba, vanilla extract, and lemon extract. Mix on medium for about a minute until combined.
- While the mixer is low, alternate adding in the flour mixture and almond milk mixture, starting and ending with flour. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for approximately 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON BUTTERCREAM
- Dairy-Free Butter: Any brand of dairy-free butter will work, but I prefer to use Earth Balance.
- Powdered Sugar: Do not skip sifting your powdered sugar, or you could end up with gritty or crunchy buttercream. Sifting allows your buttercream to stay smooth and creamy.
- Vanilla Extract: Using the combination of vanilla and lemon extract help balance the flavors.
- Lemon Extract: You want to use only 1/2 a teaspoon of lemon extract to create a subtle yet zesty flavor.
- Lemon Juice: You want to use freshly squeezed lemon juice for best taste results.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON BUTTERCREAM
- Beat the butter at medium speed for about three minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for an additional minute. Be sure to use slightly cold butter. You don't want room temperature butter, or it could be too soft.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Do not skip sifting, or you can end up with gritty buttercream.
- Add the vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon juice and mix on medium-low for 3 to 5 minutes. Be sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice for a better taste! Mixing the buttercream for a few more minutes helps create a soft and creamy texture.
- Place in a piping bag and add to cooled cupcakes. I used Wilton 1M piping tip for these cupcakes.
OTHER CUPCAKE RECIPES TO TRY:
These sweet and savory lemon cupcakes are the perfect addition to your next gathering.
Still, craving more lemon recipes?! Try these Lemon Crinkle Cookies that are bursting with lemon flavor!