Scotcheroos are Rice Krispie bars packed full of peanut butter and covered in a butterscotch chocolate blend. They are the perfect sweet and crunchy no bake snack or dessert.
It is back to school season for all the kids. I know when my kids come home they are always begging for a snack. I love these bars for an easy no-bake snack to have ready when they get home. Or you can even pack it in their lunch for a sweet treat to have at school.
Rice Krispies are a traditional no bake snack. These Scotcheroos are a fun twist to those traditional treats. The ingredients are:
Peanut Butter: You'll want to choose creamy peanut butter so that it's perfectly smooth but it is up to you! Make sure to melt this until smooth in your mixture.
Rice Krispie cereal: The cereal is what makes these bars crunchy. You will mix these in after dissolving your sugars in corn syrup and melting your peanut butter.
Sugar: Granulated sugar adds just a little bit of sweetness to the overall taste in the Rice Krispie to balance the taste of peanut butter.
Brown Sugar: I like to add some brown sugar instead of all white sugar. Brown sugar contains molasses and add just a little bit of a different taste that blends it all together.
Corn Syrup: Light Karo corn syrup is the glue that holds these bars together. It is a main ingredient in marshmallows but this way we don't have to melt those.
Butterscotch & Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: The blend of butterscotch and chocolate is melted and poured over the Rice Krispie bars. Be sure to allow plenty of time to cool so the chocolate hardens before cutting. The butterscotch chips are what give the Scotcheroos their name, hence the "scotch."
HOW TO MAKE SCOTCHEROOS
1. In a large pot on the stove, heat up your corn syrup and sugars on medium heat. Stir until the sugars dissolve completely.
2. Add your creamy peanut butter to the pot and stir until completely smooth.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the Rice Krispie cereal with a spatula. Press into a 9x13 dish or pan.
4. Melt your butterscotch and chocolate using a double broiler. You can melt it in the microwave but I prefer this method to make sure it melts smoothly. To do this, add a cup or two of water to a small saucepan and place a heat proof bowl on top. Pour chocolate in bowl and stir constantly until melted. Once melted, pour over the bars and spread so that it is completely covered.
5. Allow the chocolate to cool over the bars so that they set and harden. This is the hardest part, waiting! Cut into bars and serve.
If desired, you can sprinkle coarse sea salt on top. Hope you enjoy these Scotcheroos as much as my kids do!
MORE DESSERT BAR RECIPE IDEAS: