Cut-out Sugar Cookies
The best dairy and egg-free cut-out sugar cookies! With thick and chewy centers, crisp edges, and ready for any decorative icing of your choosing. Best of all, these cut-out sugar cookies keep their shape perfectly!
Cut-out sugar cookies are great to use for all occasions! They are perfect for any and every holiday! You can choose any cookie cutters to fit your needs.
WHY THESE ARE THE BEST CUT-OUT SUGAR COOKIES
- Super soft and keeps soft for days
- Thick and chewy center with crispy golden edges
- Easily substitute or add ingredients for extra flavor such as almond extract, chocolate chips, etc.
- Keeps their shape
- Easily made dairy and egg-free
- Easy to freeze cookie dough for later
HOW TO MAKE THESE CUT-OUT SUGAR COOKIES
Make the cookie dough:
- Measure 1/4 cup of aquafaba, or chickpea liquid, and set aside.
- Using either hand or stand mixer, mix sugar and room temperature butter on medium for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add aquafaba and extracts. Mix for about 2-3 minutes.
- Sift in the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- If adding chocolate chips, fold those in.
Chill the dough:
- Smooth the cookie dough in a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Flatten the dough slightly and place it in a Ziploc bag to place in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours or overnight for best results. You can leave the chilled dough in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze it for up to 1 month.
Roll and cut the cookie dough:
- Remove dough from the fridge and sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to soften.
- Lightly flour the surface and gently roll the dough out 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut shapes, and place on a baking sheet.
- Reroll and cut until you have used all the cookie dough.
- Place cut cookies in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (this helps keep shape).
Bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies for about 8 minutes or until bottoms and edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before decorating.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR CUT-OUT SUGAR COOKIES
- Keep your surface and rolling pin lightly covered in flour. This dough is very soft and will stick if you don't keep everything lightly floured.
- Do NOT skip refrigeration times. This is a very soft dough and the cookies will NOT keep shape and spread if you skip the chilling steps.
- If you make your cookies the same day, divide the cookie dough in two and roll out the cookie dough before chilling. Chill for 3 to 4 hours, then use cookie cutters to make shapes. Chill once more while your oven is preheating, and then bake!
- Roll your cookie dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. This makes for thick cookies that are super soft.
- Decorate your cut-out cookies with a simple dairy-free buttercream. Add gel food coloring to your buttercream to suit your needs.
Dairy-Free Buttercream Recipe:
- 2 cups dairy-free butter, room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
How to Make Dairy-Free Buttercream:
- Mix the butter for about 3 to 5 minutes using a stand or hand mixer.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Mix in 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and continue mixing on medium for about 5 minutes.
- Add gel food coloring if needed.
Cut-out sugar cookies are a great excuse for family and friends to get together and have fun decorating cookies.