Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Every October, I ask my husband what flavor cake he wants me to make for his birthday. Usually, I would get responses like pumpkin, chocolate, snickerdoodle, or even surprise me. But last year, I was shocked. He said he was not in the mood for cake. He asked me to bake him some cookies instead. Well, as you know, we have three little boys who were NOT ok with this! You HAVE to have cake on your birthday!!
I kept trying to think of a way to bake him a cake without giving him a cake. Suddenly, I knew I would make him a COOKIE CAKE! Y'all, I have not had a cookie cake in such a long time and quite honestly, I've never even made one before. But I knew exactly where to start!
If you haven't already, you MUST bake my Chocolate Chip Cookies. It is by far the best chocolate chip cookies you'll ever sink your teeth into. They are perfectly soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth. Not to mention, it is super simple to make dairy and egg-free. This cookie cake recipe is EXACTLY the same recipe but baked in a 9-inch springform pan.
But this cookie cake isn't your average thin and flat cookie cake. It is thick and chewy while slightly crunchy on the edges and packed with chocolate chips, just like a chocolate chip cookie!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE CAKE
This recipe is simple but I've included some helpful tips to know when baking a cookie cake.
- It is best baked in a 9-inch springform pan. The springform pan has removable sides making it super easy to remove from the pan. But you can still make this in a normal 9-inch pan.
- Be sure to use room temperature ingredients. This ensures no lumps from your butter but also so everything blends together smoothly.
- Keep a watch on this cake while baking because you do NOT want to overbake. You want to watch for the edges to start lightly browning. Then increase the oven temperature and bake for one more minute to ensure the entire top of the cookie is lightly browned. Increasing the temperature at the end helps brown the top while not burning the edges.
- Let cool completely before adding any buttercream or frosting.
- This recipe can be made dairy and egg-free by simply using dairy-free butter, egg replacer, and dairy-free chocolate chips.
This cookie cake is versatile and can be made for any special event you are planning, from birthdays to holidays like Valentine's Day. Decorate your cake with frosting and sprinkles! I've included a small batch recipe for dairy-free vanilla buttercream below!