Caramel Apple Galette
A delicious made-from-scratch caramel apple galette with all the taste of a pie but easily half the work! The caramel apple galette is perfect for those in between summer and fall season days. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream for the ultimate dessert. This caramel apple galette is dairy and egg-free.
WHAT IS A GALETTE?
Galettes are a perfect alternative to pie. It has all the exact workings of a pie but half the work! Galettes are worry-free pie-making because you cannot mess it up. It is the lazy way of making a pie!
You roll out the pie crust, place your apple filling in the middle, fold the outer edges, and bake. It is easier than pie!
HOMEMADE CARAMEL SAUCE
I have added my homemade dairy-free caramel sauce to top this apple galette with a bang. Who doesn't like a caramel apple?! You will be surprised how easy it is to make the caramel sauce.
Follow my dairy-free recipe here to find out how to make your caramel sauce.
The crust for a galette is the same as you would use for a pie, but there is no pie shaping required here.
You will need only five ingredients:
How to make a pie crust:
Add the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, and salt, into a medium-sized bowl.
Cut your cold butter into small cubes before adding them to your bowl of dry ingredients.
Cut the butter into the flour using a pastry cutter or fork.
Then slowly add the cold water while mixing with your fork.
It will slowly come together and form a dough.
Remove from bowl, gently knead into a ball, and roll into a thick disc.
Wrap it and place it in the fridge for at least an hour.
The filling for the caramel apple galette combines all the flavors of sweetness, spices, and apples to make the best apple filling. One of the main differences between a pie and a galette is you do not need as much filling for a galette. So be sure not to add too much or pile the apples too high, or your crust won't be able to cover the edges of your filling. You also need to leave approximately 2 to 3 inches around the edges of the filling to fold it in.
Ingredients for apple filling:
Thinly sliced apples
Dairy-Free Butter (melted)
HOW TO MAKE A CARAMEL APPLE GALETTE
- Make the crust and refrigerate. While chilling the dough, prepare the apple filling.
- Core and cut your apples into thin slices.
- Add them and all the remaining ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Mix to coat your apple slices.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll chilled dough on a lightly floured surface into a large thin circle.
- Move the dough to a lined baking sheet.
- Place the coated apples on the crust, leaving a 2 to 3 inch gap around the edges. (Not the juices).
- Gently fold over the edges and press lightly to seal.
- Drizzle homemade caramel sauce over the apples.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter, rub over the crust edges and sprinkle with sugar. This is optional but makes it extra delicious!
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This delightful treat is perfect for those fall days, from the buttery, flaky crust, to the sweetly spiced and tender apple filling, and to top it all off with a delectable homemade caramel sauce. You cannot go wrong with this dessert choice. Serve it up warm with some ice cream to make it extra special.
More fall dessert ideas:
Apple Cider Bundt Cake